Vardø obtained its first permanent cinema in 1911. The new attraction was called “Bio-teateret” (Bio Theatre). It was the town photographer, Olaf Jacobsen, who lent his support for what nowadays goes by the name of “Gammelkinoen” (The Old Cinema). During the 1980s, municipal cinema screenings were relocated to a gymnastics hall and The Old Cinema went into private ownership. It has since then been used as storage. During Komafest 2012 the building was cleaned, washed and repurposed as cinema.